Experts agree that exercise is tremendously beneficial for pregnant moms, but it’s important to find a way to move your body that’s safe to do throughout your pregnancy. Regular exercise offers a range of health and mood-boosting results to ensure that your body and mind are strong. Prenatal yoga can be the perfect way to relax your body and stay active throughout your pregnancy while helping you prepare for your baby’s birth.
As with any new exercise program, it is important to ask your doctor first, but in most cases, prenatal yoga is safe — and incredibly beneficial — to do throughout your pregnancy. So, what can you expect during a prenatal yoga class, and what benefits does prenatal yoga provides to you and your baby?
How is Prenatal Yoga Different From Regular Yoga?
Prenatal yoga is a form of yoga that includes modified positions that accommodate your growing and changing body throughout pregnancy. We recommend starting at the second trimester or 14 weeks along. Pregnancy hormones cause ligaments to loosen, and traditional yoga poses may be too uncomfortable to perform while you’re expecting. Some traditional yoga poses may also be unsafe to try while pregnant.
As a safe alternative, prenatal yoga focuses on poses that allow you to stretch and strengthen your body safely and comfortably. There is also an added focus on breathwork as you prepare to meet your baby when delivery day arrives.
Can I Do Prenatal Yoga If I’ve Never Done Yoga Before?
Yes, pregnancy is the perfect time to test the yoga waters. Prenatal yoga is designed specifically for pregnant moms-to-be, making it a safe and smart choice as your body grows and changes. Check with your doctor to make sure it is right for you, but most medical experts recommend prenatal yoga for their pregnant patients. With a focus on relaxation, physical preparation for childbirth, and breathwork, prenatal yoga can help you to feel fully prepared for childbirth and delivery.
Best of all, prenatal yoga is about modification, and your instructor will know how to accommodate each position so it effectively helps you strengthen your body without causing too much strain. When you’re finished, you’ll leave your prenatal yoga class feeling relaxed, refreshed, and empowered about what your body can do.
What to Expect in a Pregnancy Yoga Class
Here’s what you can expect during your prenatal yoga class:
- Introductions: Your instructor will ask you to share your name and information about your pregnancy, like how far along you are and whether you are experiencing any aches and pains. They will also give everyone a chance to get to know each other and share a bit about their pregnancy experience so far.
- A moment of relaxation: This brief period allows you to relax and direct your focus inward.
- Warm-ups: Your instructor will lead everyone in a warm-up so your muscles, ligaments, and joints are ready to begin prenatal yoga poses.
- Standing vinyasa flow: Your instructor will lead everyone in a series of poses that target your pelvic floor and abdominal muscles. Next, you will focus on opening your hips and chest. These poses are similar to a typical yoga class, but with modifications so they are pregnancy-safe. Throughout the standing vinyasa flow, you will also focus on deep breathing from your diaphragm, which is incredibly helpful as you prepare for labor.
- Stretching: At this point in your prenatal class, your instructor will guide you through several gentle stretches to relax your muscles and provide immense relief to your aching joints.
- Savasana: Your instructor will show you how to modify the savasana so you can lie on your back with your eyes closed which may require an accessory like a bolster or blanket to prop yourself up safely. You’ll remain in this position for several minutes in blissful relaxation.
Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
Prenatal yoga offers many benefits — improving both your physical and mental health. They include:
- Lower risk of preterm labor and complications during delivery
- Stabilized mood
- Weight management
- Lower blood pressure
- A better delivery experience
Find Prenatal Yoga Classes in Queen Creek
Prenatal yoga classes are a wonderful way to introduce yourself to the world of yoga. They provide a unique sense of community for pregnant moms-to-be, where you can bond over shared experiences and a common focus on prenatal health. Prenatal yoga will help you feel relaxed, empowered, and ready for childbirth and delivery.
If you would like to participate, contact us to schedule your prenatal yoga class at Zenlife Center for Healing today. We can’t wait to meet you.